Thursday, April 19, 2012

Snorkeling on Sanibel - (Loggerhead Cay local beach)?

It%26#39;s me again... One more question from my husband. He likes to snorkel and we don%26#39;t know does it make sense to bring snorkeling gear there? Is water clear in Gulf? Are there anything to see - reafs, sea creaters? I don%26#39;t mean outside excursions, but are people snorkle from the beaches? It%26#39;s very strange for me that nobody mention anything about water activities - snorkeling, swimming in a Gulf.... There is no information anywhere. I%26#39;m going there because of the sea and warm waters to swim, not for shopping and excursions. I%26#39;m still not sure I made a good choice.



Snorkeling on Sanibel - (Loggerhead Cay local beach)?


No snorkeling to speak of. The water is a bit murky with sand. It%26#39;s clearer up by Captiva and very clear around Cayo Costa, but there are NO reefs in the area. There is one artificial reef well off shore that can be reached by boat and provides some diving potential. A few sea creatures, but certainly nothing like you%26#39;d find around John Pennekamp or down in the Caribbean. No little colorful fish.





This part of the Gulf is quiet and not best suited to activities that are common in places like St John in the Virgins or along the Mayan Riviera. Sanibel is famous for shelling and snorkeling for shells is a lot of fun. Many folks do that. The water is very shallow well away from the beach. It also gets clearer.





Friends like snorkeling around Captiva and Cayo Costa. I don%26#39;t, but I%26#39;m used to the Caribbean.



Snorkeling on Sanibel - (Loggerhead Cay local beach)?


Snorkeling for shells is great too! We also used to Caribbeann and this is our very first trip to Florida. I like shells and it look like we may have a lot of fun! Thanks, Tourmaline.

No comments:

Post a Comment